Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Just the other day...


Just the other day, I witnessed a school bus accident in my hometown. A Head Start bus, packed to the brim with little preschool children, was sideswiped by another car causing it to veer into oncoming traffic. As the driver of the bus swerved to avoid a head on collision, she jerked the vehicle into another lane, causing a car to hit the bus in the side. This resulted in the massive bus rolling over a couple of times.

Immediately, onlookers formed, witnesses gathered, “rubber-neckers” slowed to a crawl, inpatient drivers honked, good Samaritans performed, and chaos ensued. As I got out of my car to assist the school bus driver, it dawned on me that this could have been my child. As I pulled children to safety, and told them to find a friend and hold their hand, I could hear the sounds of emergency vehicles quickly approaching. Once they arrived I stood back and watched as firemen and policemen, some of whom might have possibly been the headliners at these children’s school during their safety talks and fire truck tours, care for these kids as if they were their own.

As parents arrived, the shock of the wreck wore off and the children began to cry out for mommy and daddy. The screams of so many little children could be heard over the hustle and bustle of approaching ambulances, police and fire radios, and the busyness of the city. And for a brief moment I thought, imagine what it must have been like for God. I can only imagine what he must have been thinking when he heard his son cry out to him in pain. There is Jesus, among a crowd of onlookers, witnesses, and the occasional “rubber-necker”, among so much chaos, dying on a cross. Yet, “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son…”

No comments: